Wednesday, November 18, 2009

26 minutes on the beach . . .




It wasn't raining this morning, so I headed over to the beach. Alas, the tide was coming in quickly, so I only had a few minutes to work. We had 95mph wind gusts Monday night, seas were still high, and I didn't want to become one of those stupid tourists I see from time to time paying no attention to the ocean. In front of me on the sand was a gull who hadn't weathered the storm. I moved in close to photograph its outstretched wing. Bright sunlight made photographing difficult, so I decided to incorporate the resulting dark shadows as part of the composition.

This particular beach features beautiful cinnamon-colored rocks, and I liked how the blue-black small boulders were sitting on the reddish background.

And finally, on my way back home, I stopped at the Seal Rock overlook. I had seen a bald eagle flying over the rocks on my way to the beach, and he was still there on my return, perched on a sea stack offshore. My lens (a 28-135mm) was way too short to take a frame-filling image, but when you see an eagle, you just have to photograph it anyway, don't you? So I cropped in really tight in Photoshop, and, just for grins, turned it into an orb. Ha! The eagle stands out quite nicely over there on the right. Fun stuff.

Two more storms are headed this way, so I was glad to be able to get out and enjoy some sun, some photography, and some quiet air. And a bald eagle! Hoo ha! ©Carol Leigh

No comments: