Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Two and a half years later . . .

In June of 2007 I photographed, just before sunset, this "urban tree" piece of art in San Diego.

It's now midnight, 2½ years later, and I've been rummaging around in old files. I always liked this shot, especially the copper glow on the woman's face. This time, however, I applied Topaz Adjust to the face and here and there on the seaweed. Why? Because Topaz can bring out hidden details in some images and can even out lighting and make it glow a bit. By applying this filter judiciously, I enhance what I originally loved about the scene.

I include both versions here so you can see the difference. The face stands out more. So do the complementary colors of copper and blue. And now back to bed. Perchance to dream. ©Carol Leigh

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carol, I went back and forth between the two pix and decided that I like the original better. It holds a lot more intrigue for me. Thanks for sharing both.
Gisela

Anonymous said...

Agree. Both are nice but the first one has more "life" to it.
Since you asked:) And you are thinking~~what do those two know~~~
jc

Carol Leigh said...

June, you know me too well. I really WAS thinking about writing, "What the hell do YOU know!" But there was no way of saying it "nicely" to Gisela, whom I've not yet had the pleasure of meeting in person. (And now that I've totally alienated her, may NEVER have that pleasure!). I think you guys have just spent way too much time in southeastern humidity and it's addled your collective brains. The second photo is FAR superior. Sheesh, I mean, how obvious can it be? :-) Seriously, however, I'm interested in your evaluation. I never would pick #1 over #2. Must go back and re-think this. Not. -- Carol Leigh

DSRTDAVIS said...

I can see what Gisela and jc are talking about, but I really like the second one better (and I am not trying to "suck up" to my teacher - although it never hurts). The second one just jumps out and grabs me and I like that I can see the right side of the face better. Yes, I vote for light and bright!

Diane Miller said...

OK -- I've got to even things out here. I like the second one, way more. I do love what Topaz wizardry can do, or even a dose of Shadows/Highlights. Maybe I'm just not into mystery. Maybe I'm missing something....